Shifting Dreams by Elizabeth Hunter

Shifting Dreams - Elizabeth   Hunter

It appears to exist two types of shifter books:
1. The story about shifters, with a romance added to it.
or
2. A romance, with shifters added to it.

Shifting Dreams falls in the second category. Personally, I prefer the first category since it often means a deeper insight to the shifter world which may have different views on moral and politics. Of course, it also includes more of the actual shifters such as their origin, certain abilities, etc.. And, to be honest, if one took out the shifter aspect from Shifting Dreams this would be just another story about a small town where people aren't overjoyed with the thought of tourism increasing to their town, and a new handsome sheriff falling for the widowed mother.

But let's back up. What's Shifting Dreams really about? Here's the deal: In Cambio Springs, a small town, things are not what they appear. The community is close, and almost everyone is related to their neighbor. They all share the secret: most of them are shifters. Since a while back their economy has been declining, and so, a proposition is made. They shall build a hotel, which will increase numbers of job and the town's economy. When the proposition is made the council, consisting of seven elder shifters, one of them votes no, meaning the proposition will not go through. The elder happens to be our heroine Jena's grandmother, which plays a part in the story when, not surprisingly, she is murdered. But before this all happens the town has gotten its new sheriff, Caleb. And so, Jena and Caleb must work together to solve the murder.

Except the murder doesn't happen until around the 30% mark, and before and after that, it's more about Jena and Caleb flirting, and not going through with anything. The murder mystery takes up very little of the plot, if even 25% of it. As said, the story focuses on Caleb and Jena's growing infatuation. While they are perfectly nice characters it's also very boring to wait around for something to happen. There's a lot I can't date you because my sons, and I haven't got time for this and I don't care, let's make out while they're getting nowhere and only doing sporadically investigations around in town.

I know, I'm making it sound as if I didn't enjoy this book, but I very much did. While the pacing was off, and the chosen focus for this particular story, I did enjoy it. The writing is beautiful and flows nicely, the characters are lovable and well developed. Jena's relationship with her sons are simply wonderful to read. And when the mystery with the murder takes the front row, it's thrilling and unexpected, perhaps a little rushed, but nevertheless a good read. I'm in no doubt this will appeal to many readers who might prefer stories with a heavier focus on the romance rather than the paranormal aspect.