After Tuesday by Renee Ericson

After Tuesday - Renee Ericson
I lost my mother so long ago that I never needed to mourn that relationship. This though, this thing with my dad, is like a long tortuous death. Laughing in my face on a daily basis, it taunts and teases me with small rays of hope before it reminds me of its opposing darkness.

Life is not easy for Ruby. Losing her mother while young and being an only child is not easy when your dad happens to be an alcoholic. Since Ruby and her father moved to a new town in her sophomore year she's been more of a loner. But while working at camp for the summer, Ruby meets Lexi and soon Ruby finds herself surrounded by popular kids. And, let's not forget, Brent Cromwell.

There’s no denying that he’s cute, especially when he flashes a grin that somehow makes his dimples appear out of nowhere on his cheeks. Let’s not forget his dark wavy hair and contrasting magnetic eyes. If that’s not enough, the guy is also the captain of our state championship soccer team, so of course, he has a lean and muscular body. He’s totally what most girls dream about when they aren’t thinking about boys in books and movies.

These two people run into each other, and instantly share a bond. But Ruby is hesitant to introduce him to her father. It's so obvious they come from different worlds, and Ruby doesn't want to be hurt.

Doesn't it suck when a decent book is, well, decent? When a book has so many opportunities to go the right way and create something beautiful? That's what After Tuesday is. Because the author had so many chances to deepen Ruby and her father's relationship and make this book about her family situation and insecurities rather than the constant hotness level of Brent.

I roll over and stare at the ceiling, wondering how long it’s been since I last kissed Brent. I know it’s only been a few minutes, but my body thinks an eternity has passed.

While the story is narrowed down to the looks of Brent, it never manage to give him a personality. Really, my cousin's plastic car toys have more complex personalities than Brent. That's just not good. And while Brent is busy missing his personality, he also lacks a brain. Because when he sees Ruby go into a bar to retrive her drunk father, he jumps to the conclusion that Ruby is the one with a drinking problem. After her father have given Brent two black eyes. Yes. That happened.

While on the subject of Ruby's father. He's a drunk. Well, we're told so. The only thing he does is pass out when he drinks, which is a problem. The problem is, still, that the story is focusing on Brent's exterior rather than create any realistic atmosphere. Ruby tells us her father has had a problem ever since they moved, yet he's never done something to hurt someone/acted irrational or in any other way cause problems. Maybe if the book had focused as much on the father as it did with Brent, this might have been something beautiful. It would have been more interesting to see Ruby struggling to accept her father's apologizes and for her to realize he might want to get better. Then again, Brent has the ability to have Ruby forget her own name.

A tingling sensation shimmies up my spine to my head, numbing all thought processes in my brain, except that of—I don’t know what this is called.

For future reference, it's called being dumb.

And if, instead of these two idiots falling in love when their eyes meet for the first time, the relationship between Ruby and Brent had had a slower built up, maybe a reader would have believed it when they begun saying they love each other after two weeks of dating. Or how Ruby falls apart when, after four weeks of dating, Brent decided they need some space.

Really, if this book had focused on anything besides the hotness of Brent, it would have been good. Sadly, it doesn't.