Tasting Never by C.M. Stunich

Tasting Never  - C.M. Stunich
Rick is the kind of guy you can take home to your family, show off, and know that at the end of the day, he'll be there for you. I'm not into guys like Rick. I should be, but I'm not. I think there's something wrong with me. I need a guy like Rick to put me on the straight and narrow, to help me stop doing the things I shouldn't be doing and start doing the things I should.

There's just something about a young woman driven by anger. Never – yes, that's her name – is such a young woman. New Adult is littered with virginal and naïve female characters that are so blissfully ignorant of the world (despite the fact that most of them have been put through hell). Tasting Never is not one of these women. She's had a rough upbringing and are left with herself. With herself, her anger and resentment. Never's biggest fear is to get too close to people. But when Never meets Ty the first time the dislike is mutual, but after being victims in a crime they're left with a connection neither fully understand.

I must say, this was quite a refreshing read. I've grown tired of all the stereotypical characters in New Adult. Tasting Never is decent enough, and offers quite a bit considering its short length. C.M. Stunich manages to create an aura of hope surrounding Never's dark exterior. And Ty, while he's a manwhore, literally, is easy to like. These two broken people find ways to start breaking down the walls they've built up for so long and to face what their lives have come to. Together they take the first tentative steps toward confide in another human being, then learn enough about someone to call them their friend. And, of course, realize love might be something they actually want.

Never Ross wants to be loved.
It's that simple, but it's not that easy.

Yes, Tasting Never was a good read, but it also lacks in certain departments. There are close to no secondary characters. The only one worth mentioning is Never's roommate, Lacey, who is a lesbian crushing on straight girls. But beyond that, there's no real persona behind her name. Apart from the lack of secondary characters, I wished this book had been longer and had some side story. Because while what's in it is good, it's also not really much happening. But yes, Tasting Never is far above the usual books in the New Adult genre with it's good writing and different characters, especially Never.

[My jacket] smells like cigarettes and dangerous boys with broken hearts, like a shield against painful reality.