Physics of the Future by Michio Kaku

Physics of the Future: How Science Will Shape Human Destiny and Our Daily Lives by the Year 2100 - Michio Kaku
‎By 2100, our destiny is to become like the gods we once worshipped and feared. But our tools will not be magic wands and potions but the science of computers, nanotechnology, artificial intelligence, biotechnology, and most of all, the quantum theory.

Michio Kaku takes the reader through the current research being done today in several areas such as medicine, computer science, AI, energy, etc. and what we can expect in the near and all the way to the beginning of the next century. And as he says, magic wands and potions will not be our tools. My own journey with magic began with, like many other people, the Harry Potter series. All that magic neatly wrapped up in a story that I could never live out in reality (except, you know, in my wildest dreams). But as I grew older I found science. Biology, chemistry, math, and most important physics. To me, this is as close to magic as I'll ever get, and that's enough for me. Okay, the HP magic is pretty cool, but still. Naturally, this book was for me, and I knew that the instant I saw it.

Anyway, Kaku presents some downright amazing stuff. Probes finding cancer before it breaks out. Cars driving themselves and thus preventing deaths related to car accidents. Robots living among us as equals. Space travel and a wider understanding of the universe. Being able to move things with a mere thought due to help from superconductors. Means to help us live longer. I mean, seriously, who wouldn't want all this stuff?

Now, I'm not going to pretend I know ever aspect of every area Kaku brings forward. I'm far from educated in them all, and I have seen other reviews claiming some parts is wrong, both in terminology and other aspects. But I'm not going to say either is right or wrong. People have predicted the future and what science will be able to bring with it too many times and I think believing something is impossible is simply the wrong attitude. Because there are certain aspects that are done and told exceptionally well. Kaku is obviously a smart man and the scientists he's interviewed are so as well. And I strongly doubt they are wrong as well. Many of them are highly-respected scientists (this I actually know for sure), and have great insight in how the future might look for us. What can be the problem is that Kaku himself is not an expert and might have gotten a thing or two wrong, but I doubt the actual science is wrong since many of the theories are in a stage where prototypes of various sorts are in the making.

And, come on, it's more fun to believe the future will evolve and give us new incredible devices and means for living. And, controlling things with your ming? Don't tell me that isn't magic.