Mockingjay - Part 1

What to say about Mockingjay - Part 1? (No spoilers, I promise!)

Well, for one thing it's very different from the previous movies, although anyone who's read the books understand why. I have to compare with my feelings toward the book (third book in this case). To me the book focused to a big extent on Katniss' PTSD and her psychological state. (Well, at least the first half or so, since that's what this movie portrays.) However, in the movie the focus is put on the propaganda, both coming from the Capitol and from District 13, and the only part that truly focuses on Katniss is in the opening scenes. Maybe this is hard to portray well in this kind of movie, but despite that, Jennifer Lawrence did a great job with her characterization of Katniss!

And while I'm mentioning Lawrence, I must go on to talk about Hutcherson. Personally I think he's the best actor in this movie, and considering how little he's actually in this one, that says a lot. Thumbs up to him! On the other hand I'm less enthusiastic about Julianne Moore (President Coin), Liam Hemsworth (Gale), and Sam Claflin (Finnik). Moore did not convince me about Coin as a character. Maybe because I found her character so good in the books, but no, I did not particularly like the characterization of her. And Gale's character is a whole different matter. The problem, for me, is that at no point during the movie (this and the previous ones) does he ever become a person. I mean, he's there, but that's the only thing I know about him. To put it in simple terms, he don't get enough time on camera to have a chance to give this character a proper development. And Finnik then. Well, okay, he is pretty good at times. There's one scene in particular that's one of my favorites from the movie (despite being about ten seconds long). But, as I remember it from the book, he's going through a nervous breakdown. A heavy one. And that didn't quite make it to the screen. So it's hard to tell if this is due to the actor or to the director.

Anyway, the movie does follow the book almost fully. For those who haven't read the books and is expecting action like in the previous movies, they'll be disappointed. This book, as I said, focuses on the propaganda, but also on the political aspect. So, not much going on, really. It's still good, don't get me wrong. I actually do believe I enjoyed this more than the other two (maybe because it's always the politics that interests me the most in dystopian books). It's different, yes, but a good different. Now I just have to wait for the last.