Hi there insta love, it's almost been a while since we last met!
Joke aside, that's what I managed to get out of this before I finished around 25%. Madeleine is moving to college, hoping for a new start. She's always kept people at an arm's width ever since her parents died when she was ten(?). One night at a party she meets Reid, self-proclaimed asshole who goes through women like one does underwear. After one dance Reid is ready to go to hell and back for Madeleine, but still treats her badly like the asshole he is. Of course, Madeleine can see the pain in his eyes and Madeleine just knows they'd be good together. Doesn't sound terrible – it kind of does, but for the sake of the argument, you know – does it?
Okay so let's go through the typical New Adult clichés:
“Damn, girl! You look hot!” Her words prompt a heated blush to my cheeks. “Quit your blushing, Maddy. One day you will realize just how beautiful you are. I don’t mean to sound shallow, but do you think you could land a guy like Jay if you were anything less than beautiful?”
1. Maddy obviously doesn't know she's beautiful.
2. Obviously a girl can only land hot guy because of her looks. Not, you know, her personality?
They look almost fake, but as I lean into the mirror to get a closer look, I catch small little flecks of gold around the outside that I know no contact lens could replicate.
3. Maddy is such a unique snowflake not even artificial lenses could make a copy of her eye color. (Google 'weird lenses', then come back and claim they can't be replicated.)
I can’t peel my eyes away from his mouth as he moves the bottle to his lips. They are perfect - beautiful and full in a completely masculine way. I watch, completely fascinated, as his throat moves, downing the water in three or four large gulps. He wipes his mouth with his forearm, and I can’t help but let my eyes travel up the rest of his arm to his biceps and shoulders. Those are the same as his lips — perfect. Amazingly, gorgeously, utterly, divinely perfect. Muscled and tanned, his arms are mouthwatering.
4. It wouldn't be New Adult if the male lead wasn't described as the most beautiful man ever walking this earth, but yet you can't even begin to comprehend what he actually looks like.
Reid is in front of us in seconds. He grabs Logan by the collar and lifts him off the couch. Before Logan can even get a word out, Reid cocks his arm and lands a nasty right hook across Logan’s jaw. I scuffle off the couch and move to the edge of the room, where everyone else has retreated to give them space.
5. Violence. Not okay.
6. Proof Reid falls for Maddy after dancing with her once. Yet, even after once dance he wants, and does, punch his roommate who is showing genuine interest in Maddy.
7. Looking back at 6. it's even more prominent Reid's obsession with Maddy is beyond unhealthy.
When most girls agree to the “no strings attached” fling, they usually do so with the hope that it’ll eventually turn into more.
8. Obviously only men can enjoy 'no strings attached' sex, not women. Silly me, beleiving women too can have a sexuality. *sarcasm*
Watching her bend over the table for the last few hours has been quite the show, one that I catch some asshole at the next table enjoying as well.
9. Hypocricity. Reid has been staring at Maddy's ass as much as the next guy, and he is, still, practically a stranger to this girl. Explain how it's different when this other guy does it and when Reid does it.
10. Both heroine and hero come from broken pasts.
So yeah, I'm not finishing this one.