What If? by Randall Munroe

What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions - Randall Munroe
To this day I have no idea where I got “3 billion” and “5 billion” from. Clearly, I didn’t really get how numbers worked.
My math has gotten a little better over the years, but my reason for doing math is the same as it was when I was five: I want to answer questions.

What do you get when you take a former NASA employed and a web comic? You get my humor, apparently. I mean, I've been a science geek for as long as I can remember. There has never been a question about that I want work with. It's really all about narrowing down to what aspect I want to do it. Either physics or environment. Perhaps both. I blame my curiosity on this. I needto know things, how they work and why. Really, it's a curse. So, considering that, where does that leave me and What If?.

In What if? Randall Munroe has taken absurd hypothetical questions asked on his blog, and some new, and put them in a book. What he does is answer them with scientific answers based on number, logic, and just basic reason. For example, one questions is what would happen if every human on the world jumped at the same time. Or another, if you let a hairdryer blow inside an airtight box. I know, it sounds crazy, but Munroe answers these questions with reason and humor.

Eventually, humans will die out. Nobody knows when, but nothing lives forever. Maybe we’ll spread to the stars and last for billions or trillions of years. Maybe civilization will collapse, we’ll all succumb to disease and famine, and the last of us will be eaten by cats.

I knew cats would rule the universe one day!

This is not everyone's humor, that's given. But for anyone interested in science or has a basic understanding of it, I think might find something for them in What If?. Munroe balances science and humor in a spectacular way, making it easy to follow and laugh. I definitely recommend it, but at the same time not, because there will be several who might not find this their kind of humor. To check out what kind of questions/answer you'll find inWhat If? you can check out Munroe's blog.